Multi-tty, ido-mode and erc

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Multi-tty, ido-mode and erc
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:37:42 +0800

Hello,

In multi-tty version, Emacs seems not able to use the minibuffer of
the right frame in some cases (in X window).  To reproduce:

1. Start Emacs with the -Q option:

    $ emacs -Q

A new Emacs frame is displayed.  Now in this frame:

2. M-x server-start RET

The emacsclient command should be able to connect to this server after
this.

3. M-x ido-mode RET

This simply enables the ido mode.

4. M-x erc RET ...

Now login to some irc server with some nick name.  Which server to
login, which port the server uses and which nick name to login does
not matter.

5. Start a emacsclient:

    $ emacsclient -c

The emacsclient command just creates a new frame.  Note that either
the old Emacs frame and the new emacsclient frame should NOT be
clicked to reproduce the problem.

6. Try to switch to another buffer, i.e. type C-x b.

Emacs uses the minibuffer of the old Emacs frame, rather than the one
of the new emacsclient frame.  Typing C-g to try to abort the
executing command does not help: it signals the `quit' condition in
the new emacsclient frame, and the minibuffer of the old Emacs frame
is still used.  Currently I find the only way to make Emacs use the
minibuffer of the new emacsclient's frame is to execute another
command such that Emacs signals "Command attempted to use minibuffer
while in minibuffer" and aborts the former command.

7. Some other notes:

The reason I mention ido mode here is that, if ido mode is not turned
on when emacsclient creates a new frame, Emacs will choose the right
minibuffer to use.  If ido mode is turned off after emacsclient
starts, the problem just goes away.

The reason I mention erc here is that, even if ido mode is turned on,
the problem cannot be reproduced if M-x erc is never executed.

And I can reproduce this problem only with C-x b, but not C-x f or M-x
commands.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu