Re: vc-*-root finctions

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: vc-*-root finctions
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:54:36 +0100

() Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
() Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:16:04 -0500

   Who cares?  If the user wants to go up and it does not belong
   to any VCS then we can detect it without vc-*-root, and if the
   user wants to go up but it belongs to another backend, I see no
   reason to disobey the user.

   I.e. the functionality of "going up" is fine, but it does not
   require the introduction of vc-*-root.

Note: The feature is not "going up", for which i would agree there
is no burning need for (yet) another way to thwart the user.

Rather, the feature is to present the line:

  Directory: ~/build/GNU/git-emacs/lisp/calendar

with "git-emacs", "lisp" and "calendar" as buttons.  If i want to
do `(vc-status "~/build/GNU")', then presenting "GNU" as plain
(non-button) text tells me -- even before i try -- that according
to vc-git-root, that directory is not in the same project i am in
at the moment.  The buttons, on the other hand, tell me -- again,
even before i try -- that those directories are in-project.

I suspect you haven't tried out the patch(es).  Have you?

thi