Re: [22.1.90]: Point before start of properties

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [22.1.90]: Point before start of properties
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:27:59 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 04:16:34 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> It's one thing to let people try to debug optimized code,
> and quite another to go to great lengths to make it easier.
> GCC has never done that.

Debugging GCC-optimized (under -O2) code is not just hard, it's
downright impossible!  In anything but the most trivial toy programs,
you end up with functions in which you cannot put a breakpoint,
tracebacks that cannot be trusted and which do not show values of some
variables in the calls to functions, variables whose values cannot be
displayed (except by disassemblying, and even then not everywhere),
and other ``niceties''.

The end result is what we hear in this list too many times: developers
run Emacs produced without optimizations, which means we don't test
well the code we eventually ship.