Re: tooltips for minor modes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: tooltips for minor modes
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:56:36 -0500

    > We might want to establish the convention that the second line
    > of a minor mode's doc string starts with the start of a
    > sentence that explains
    > briefly what the mode does.
    >
    > Then the tooltip  could show the sentence which starts at that point.

    That sounds a bit artificial to me. The doc string needs also to be readable
    on its own.  I'm not sure it's good to press doc-string parts into doing
    double duty.

I expect that this will be perfectly readable -- give it a try
for a few minor modes and see.

But there should also be a :mode-feature keyword to override this when
necessary.