[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:31:25 -0500
Gnus/5.11 (Gnus v5.11) Emacs/22.1.91 (gnu/linux)
Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
> - The default off `longlines-show-hard-newlines' should be changed to
> t. When set to nil, there's soft and hard newlines are
> indistinguishable. I tried longlines-mode several times, but I
> found it very hard to use until I discovered this option.
The current default is more familiar to new users, since it is the
behavior in the other editors/editing widgets that longlines-mode
imitates. I don't know of any other editor that marks hard newlines
I suspect most of the people concerned about identifying soft vs hard
newlines with a glyph are very experienced Emacs users, who should
have no trouble changing the default.
> - The default value of `longlines-show-effect' is
> (propertize "|\n" 'face 'escape-glyph).
> `M-x customize-variable RET longlines-show-effect RET' should allow
> to change only the character (e.g. `|' -> `¶' = "PILCROW SIGN",
> "PARAGRAPH SIGN", i.e. keep the properties.
> Maybe splitting string and face would make it easier to customize
> - As the "old name" of `¶' ("PILCROW SIGN", old name: "PARAGRAPH
> SIGN", U+00B6, 0xB6) indicates, this symbol might be more suitable
> as a default in `longlines-show-effect'. Disadvantage: Is isn't an
> ASCII character, but I'd guess that > 99% users of Emacs 22+ can
> display it fine. As `¶' is more visible than `|', we might want to
> use a smaller font as well.
I'll play around with it and see how well it works.
- longlines-mode, Reiner Steib, 2008/02/23
- Re: longlines-mode,
Chong Yidong <=
- Re: longlines-mode, Juri Linkov, 2008/02/23
- Re: longlines-mode, Reiner Steib, 2008/02/23
- Re: longlines-mode, Chong Yidong, 2008/02/23
- Re: longlines-mode, Johan Bockgård, 2008/02/27
- Re: longlines-mode, David Reitter, 2008/02/27
- Re: longlines-mode, Miles Bader, 2008/02/27
- Re: longlines-mode, David Reitter, 2008/02/28
- Re: longlines-mode, Miles Bader, 2008/02/28
- Re: longlines-mode, Stefan Monnier, 2008/02/28
- Re: longlines-mode, David Reitter, 2008/02/29