Re: longlines-mode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: longlines-mode
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:13:18 -0500

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> If the defaults are chosen for similarity to other long-lines editors,
> I'd guess you should turn on `longlines-wrap-follows-window-size' by
> default.  At least gedit (and notepad.exe, IIRC) do it by default.

I would, if not for the fact that longlines-wrap-follows-window-size
doesn't behave well when the buffer is simultaneously displayed in two
windows with different widths.  This is not fixable without C-level
changes.  There have been discussions about this issue on this list in
the past, but I don't think it'll be fixed in the immediate future.
So the current behavior is a compromise.

> Maybe displaying an indicator in the fringe by default?

That might work.