Re: patch: add-log.el: changelog find file under point

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: patch: add-log.el: changelog find file under point
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:32:42 +0100

> Now the problem is clear:
> Imenu for C does not understand the special macros used in Emacs sources.

The fact that imenu doesn't understand special macros is one out of
three aspects I listed (BTW, etags also handles SYSCALL, ENTRY, PSEUDO).
Why did you ignore the remaining ones?

> I am sure this can be fixed with a certain amount of special programming.

Probably.  But the problem of matches within comments and strings is
more difficult to handle and much more annoying for other sources.  The
most serious problem with using imenu for change-log entries, on the
other hand, is its inability to cleanly report variable and macro
definitions.  With other words: What `add-log-current-defun' gets me is
usually a subset of what etags finds.  It considerably differs from what
imenu reports.