RE: split-string behavior change

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: split-string behavior change
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:00:52 -0800

> Have you looked at the archives or tried googling with
> split-string and omit-nulls?
>
> The latter gives me
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/emacs.xemacs.design/2003-04/msg00142.html

Thanks, I should have thought of that.

That was a long and winding thread, full of reasoning about
incompatibilities between XEmacs and GNU Emacs and mentioning a GNU Emacs
change in Emacs 20.1 and back again in 20.4 (and now back again ++ in 22).
Quite a mess.

I still didn't get a good sense for why GNU Emacs 22 should break Emacs 20
and 21 compatible code this way, but I guess it's water under the bridge.
Seems like it was some sort of unhappy compromise all around.

Anyway, it was an interesting read; thanks.