Re: PATCH to add euro symbol to French-{postfix, alt-postfix, prefix} in

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: PATCH to add euro symbol to French-{postfix, alt-postfix, prefix} input methods
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:53:12 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
All I was worried about was whether users do assume the current
latin-* input methods do not produce characters outside a single Latin
charset.  If users from the European cultures don't mind, neither do
I.

If the input method is called "latin-1-prefix" (-postfix, -alt), then the user would expect it not to produce characters outside the latin-1 range. But for input methods called "french-prefix" etc, I think they would expect to be able to type all letters and symbols in common usage in French, which these days includes the euro symbol. European users have surely encountered the fact that the euro is not covered by the latin-1 character set by now, so if they want to save in latin-1 encoding, they will simply avoid it. The "latin-*" input methods already contain the euro, so there is precedent for including it.