Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: vc-set-mode-line-busy-indicator
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:27:51 -0500

      > What sort of VC commands are asynchronous, other than vc-diff which
      > shouldn't be a problem?

    All non-state changing VC commands should be asynchronous. Currently
    vc-diff, vc-annotate, vc-log and vc-status are.

    Not sure what you mean above about vc-diff...

I see no need to inform people in the mode line that vc-diff is
running, or that it has stopped.  Likewise vc-log.  vc-status must be
something new; I don't know what it is.  But any asynch vc command
whose purpose is to display something need not put anything in the
mode line.  Better to work like vc-diff: make the output buffer
appear, and the user will see when it is complete.