Re: EasyPG API and usage questions

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: EasyPG API and usage questions
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:41:06 -0600

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:25:22 +0900 Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> wrote:

DU> Ah, that's a bug.  Thanks for finding it in the corner case.  Here is a
DU> patch to fix this.
DU> Index: lisp/epa.el
DU> ===================================================================
DU> RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/lisp/epa.el,v
DU> retrieving revision 1.6
DU> diff -c -r1.6 epa.el
DU> *** lisp/epa.el     12 Feb 2008 01:24:20 -0000      1.6
DU> --- lisp/epa.el     5 Mar 2008 07:16:21 -0000
DU> ***************
DU> *** 542,551 ****
DU>   NAMES is a list of strings to be matched with keys.  If it is nil, all
DU>   the keys are listed.
DU>   If SECRET is non-nil, list secret keys instead of public keys."
DU> !   (let ((keys (epg-list-keys context names secret)))
DU> !     (if (> (length keys) 1)
DU> !   (epa--select-keys prompt keys)
DU> !       keys)))

DU>   (defun epa--show-key (key)
DU>     (let* ((primary-sub-key (car (epg-key-sub-key-list key)))
DU> --- 542,548 ----
DU>   NAMES is a list of strings to be matched with keys.  If it is nil, all
DU>   the keys are listed.
DU>   If SECRET is non-nil, list secret keys instead of public keys."
DU> !   (epa--select-keys prompt (epg-list-keys context names secret)))

DU>   (defun epa--show-key (key)
DU>     (let* ((primary-sub-key (car (epg-key-sub-key-list key)))

I can confirm this fixes the bug, I hope you can commit it soon.

It's very nice that if I cancel the encryption, I remain in the file.gpg
buffer, but it's unsaved.  If I try to save again, it brings up the save
dialog again.

If I open a symetrically encrypted file.gpg and write it to another
file1.gpg, I never get a question about the encryption.  EasyPG assumes
I want symmetric encryption again.  I don't know if that's a feature or
a bug.

Can the passphrase and symmetric encryption/key choice be automatically
cached for a whole directory of files, if it's entered for any one of
them?  That way I can have ~/Maildir-crypt/{cur,tmp,new} encrypted
consistently, for example.

In the key selection buffer, (described as "Major mode for
`epa-list-keys'") I think it would be nice to have

C-c C-c and Enter anywhere (except the "Cancel" button or on a key)
equivalent to "OK"

C-c C-k equivalent to "Cancel"

Thanks
Ted