Re: MAINTAINERS file

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS file
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:27:46 +0100

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 10:20 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Emacs is not particularly known for only going well-trodden paths.  In
>  more than one way it has been a front-runner for Free Software and the
>  policies

I know. But Richard was not saying that we should use Bazaar with
Emacs because Emacs is one of GNU flagship projects, but that all GNU
projects *should use* Bazaar.

>  So the right question is not "do the other GNU packages do that?" but
>  rather "would we like GNU packages to do that?".  And then Emacs is at
>  least as good a start as any.
>
>  Incidentally, the answer for me to this one is "no", but it is still a
>  valid question.

IIUC, you're saying "no" to "would we like GNU packages to do that?"
(ie, using Bazaar). I'm agnostic; I'm just not comfortable with the
idea of not taking into account reliability, user interface,
scalability, performance, etc., and blindly assuming that all current
dVCS are more-or-less equivalent. git is quite fast; mercurial has a
nice interface, etc. Using one or another does definitely not offer
the same experience, even if the functionality is very similar.

             Juanma