Re: tabs v spaces in Emacs's source files

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: tabs v spaces in Emacs's source files
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 12:11:36 -0500

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:
> But anyway, the point is that there's a lot of code using spaces. If
> there's a real interest in using only tabs, I'd suggest start adding
> indent-tabs-mode cookies to local variables sections.

I very much prefer spaces, because they're diff-safe (for example, in
commit emails).

With TABs, an unlucky indentation boundary can cause code to jump many
display columns to the right, due to the "+"/"-" column along the left
edge of the diff.  This makes reading diffs of TAB-indented code a dicey
game.

-Karl