Re: capslock changes control characters?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: capslock changes control characters?
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 18:04:17 -0500

> I think the current Emacs doesn't have a clear view about
> when and how to resolve modifiers.  For instance, S-i is
> resolved to `I' by XLookupString, C-i is resolved to 9 in
> make_ctrl_char.  Then I think C-S-i should also be resolved
> somewher before it's given to Lisp, at least before it's
> given to Lisp as character.

It should still be possible to distinguish key-bindings to C-i
(i.e. TAB) and C-S-i (i.e. S-TAB), provided the underlying terminal
allows it, obviously.
Does your code still allow this distinction?

> So I resolved the modifiers in those functions than in, for
> instance, char-to-string or insert.

Agreed.  `insert' and `char-to-string' have no business messing
with keys.

> Resolving of M-i is surely questionable, but as Emacs has
> accepeted M-i upon (insert (read-char)) for long, I resolved
> them too for backward compatibility.

I think this was just an accidental misfeature and would should not
preserve this kind of backward compatibility.  I can't imagine how it
could break any existing elisp package, and if a user used that in the
past, there are plenty of alternative ways to get the same result in
a saner way.

        Stefan