Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 00:57:48 +0200

>> the Isearch error message overwrites the minibuffer content, but with this
>> patch it appends the error message to the end of the minibuffer, e.g.
>>
>> I-search backward: foo [Failing I-search backward: bar]
>
> Maybe it would be good to show the message before the prompt and on its
> own line? That way it could perhaps easily be made read-only etc.
>
> It also seems to be a rather natural place to show it - at least if you
> are used to command line tools.

I don't understand what do you propose.  Currently the error message
is already before the prompt and looks like:

Failing I-search backward: bar

but overwrites the minibuffer content.  With `minibuffer-message'
it looks like:

I-search backward: foo [Failing I-search backward: bar]

If necessary, we can make the error message shorter like:

I-search backward: foo [Failing: bar]

Anyway, to show the failed search string is more important than
the minibuffer content.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/