Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 16:53:41 -0400

    Actually in usual practice, this feature is used with many other
    movement commands too, not just the arrow keys -- for instance, S-C-home
    will highlight to the beginning of the buffer in typical MS-type apps
    (so in emacs, that should work, and so should S-M-<), and S-M-right will
    highlight the next word (so in emacs S-M-f should do so as well).

I don't think this should be applied to all shift keys.  Doing it for
S-C-home is ok, and for S-M- arrows, but I think it would be a bad
idea to have this apply to ordinary Emacs commands such as C-f and
M-f.

S-M-< is meaningless because the shift key is required to type <.
Either every M-< counts as shifted, or none of them do.

    There's also the "_non_-shifted movement should _deactivate_ the region"
    issue which Kim mentioned earlier; it occurs to me that perhaps that
    could be handled simply by having "shift activation" (activating the
    region by using a shifted movement command) add a _temporary_
    post-command hook, which would take care of deactivating the mark
    appropriately, and would then remove itself from the post-command-hook
    list.  While it would still be using post-command-hook, I think this
    would be much better than the current cua mechanism,

I agree this is a much better way to use post-command-hook than having
it on all the time.  It may be ok.  However, someone presented another
way to do it using transient-mark-mode.