Re: FW: Minibuf menu when minibuffer is standalone

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: FW: Minibuf menu when minibuffer is standalone
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:11:40 -0400

>>> Enter -- C-j
>>
>>> I do not understand that one at all.
>>
>> That's not too good either, indeed, but I don't see it here (it just
>> doesn't say anything at all for me).

> Emacs 23.0.60.1, 2008-03-10.

Yes, I saw it in the end.  If you do a M-x before, it gets removed, tho.

> But I can't understand why "Enter" should be in the menu. It is really not
> surprising that you press ENTER to enter the data, or is it? Of course I see
> a lot of people entering data in a web browser using the mouse to click the
> submit button, but I do not think anyone of them uses Emacs ...

It's actually worse than that: the binding for "Enter" is
exit-minibuffer which is wrong for completions that "require-match"
(such as M-x) which should instead use minibuffer-complete-and-exit
(which is why the binding is not shown when you do M-x: in that case
exit-minibuffer is not bound to any key).

In any case I've changed the Quit to use the same binding as C-g (so
C-g is shown in the shortcuts) and tweaked the "Enter" entry so it shows
RET (or thing) rather than C-j (or nothing).

        Stefan