Re: incomplete comment colorization in terminals

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: incomplete comment colorization in terminals
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:44:07 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  > > From: Rob Riepel <address@hidden>
  > > Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:15:14 -0700 (PDT)
  > >
  > > When using font-locking in a terminal window (xterm and the like)
  > > single-line comments are only highlighted to the first non-space
  > > character after a space.  This happens in more than one language-
  > > specific mode - I've tried Emacs-lisp and CPerl modes.
  > >
  > > The bug does not occur when running Emacs under X, only in a terminal,
  > > and only for certain terminal types.  The bug is present when TERM is
  > > set to xterm or xterm-color, but not when TERM is set to xterm-16color.
  >
  > This is not a bug, but a deliberate feature.  There's a new face named
  > font-lock-comment-delimiter-face.

This feature was introduced because on the Linux console the comment
face was hard to read (red on black).  But this feature also applies to
the 8 color xterm with a white background, which nobody complained
about! The comment face is quite readable on such a terminal. The face
was changed in that case for no reason.

So can we please switch the 8 color light background case back to
normal?

Stefan and Yidong, what do you think?