Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Martin Pool
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:03:17 +1100

On 14/03/2008, dhruva <address@hidden> wrote:
>  On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Jonathan Lange <address@hidden> wrote:
>  >  Definitely. I hate waiting for anything, computers most of all. I'll
>  >  hassle Martin and try to get this fixed. Alternatively, the Bazaar
>  >  project welcomes patches with open arms. :)
>
> For starters, could anyone please suggest if there is some magic flag
>  to profile the bzr code? If I can get the time spent in each function
>  (PYTHON), we would be able to track the real hot spots. I am open to
>  help in debugging with my current limited knowledge of bzr internals.

That would be great, see

http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/developers/profiling.html
and
http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/developer-guide/HACKING.html

I believe the main problem is that we are processing the whole graph
to work out which revisions merged which others.  (which hg and git do
not do, iiuc.)  For even quite active trees this is good, but emacs
has a lot of history.

In this case you probably just want the last ten direct commits, bzr
log --line -l10.  mwh posted a patch to improve this and there is some
more that can be done.

--
Martin