Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:47:05 +1200

 > But it is very annoying with all this new tool tips when you have
 > tooltip-use-echo-area set to t.  The minibuffer expands and shrinks for
 > multiline tooltips just because you happen to pass the modeline with the
 > pointer.

Likewise, I went to a lot of trouble to get tooltips to work on the console
where they always appear in the mini-buffer (they don't currently work in
the mode-line but could be made to do so).

 > Is there a way to turn off modeline tooltips?  I think that would be useful.

Apparently they are meant to "help newbies" so it's ironic that they might
need to learn how to turn them off.

At the risk of being disabused by Dan, I would suggest that these tooltips are
reverted to single line tips.