Re: Foreign file names on MS-Windows

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Foreign file names on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:56:51 -0400

>> I.e. why fiddle with Vw32_downcase_file_names?

> Because 8+3 aliases are reported in all caps, as the comment says, so
> instead of "some foreign file name.mp3" you get something like
> "ABCDE~45.MP3", and I fear that not every alist in Emacs that supports
> file recognition by extension includes both lower- and upper-case
> variants.  Also, lower-casing the 8+3 aliases makes them slightly less
> ugly, IMO.

The ugliness factor is irrelevant: those files are ugly anyway, and
having them in all-caps makes it arguably (to me) more clear what's
going on.

But the issue of recognition of all-caps extension is a good argument,
that's the one that should be in the comment.

>> And more importantly why modify the code to change dir_static.d_namlen
>> before the computation of dir_static.d_reclen (which uses
>> dir_static.d_namlen)?

> The original code used d_namlen to compute d_reclen before the former
> was set, which in effect used the value of d_namlen from the previous
> invocation of `readdir' (since dir_static is a static variable).  I
> fixed that by reordering the statements where d_namlen and d_reclen
> are computed.  You will see that the `readdir' implementations in
> sysdep.c all do it in the order I did, and I'm quite sure w32.c is
> trying to faithfully emulate sysdep.c implementations.

I see, so it's a separate bugfix.

> Anyway, d_reclen is not used anywhere in Emacs (and I have no idea
> what would it be useful for, even in principle), so if you prefer that
> I don't touch d_reclen's line on the branch, I'm okay with that.

I guess that would be preferable, then,

        Stefan