Re: gathering data on how people use Emacs

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: gathering data on how people use Emacs
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:28:58 +0000 (UTC)

    Here are some basic questions I thought of ...

    use of mouse ? 0-4

That is a bad question since there are times with mouse control of the
cursor when a sighted person should use it and other times not -- for
example, it makes sense when moving to a different and distant part of
the buffer that is visible on the screen.

(When moving forward a character or word, it makes sense to invoke the
commands `forward-char' and `forward-word' with `C-f' and `M-f'
respectively.  You waste more of your life, that is to say, are less
efficent, if you move your hands to use either arrow keys or the
menu.)

Permanently and situationally blind people should not use a mouse; for
example, few people want other drivers to take their eyes off the road
to look at a mouse cursor.

    Most useful Modes ?

Another bad question, since modes should be used when appropriate.
Thus, when using Mail mode you should not be programming Emacs Lisp.
(You can use the *scratch* buffer for that.)

There are other poor questions in that list.  I would not use it.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden