Re: bug? scroll-lock-mode and searching

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug? scroll-lock-mode and searching
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 02:06:58 -0400

>     I think the right fix is to introduce a new hook `before-redisplay-hook'
>     and scroll-lock-mode should use it.

> My experience suggests to me that hooks to run before or after
> whateveritis are not quite the right thing for any complex feature.

Indeed.  But, for example, fontification-functions is just the right
thing for lazy font-lock.

> I think that if you study what this feature is trying to do,
> you'll probably find a different design that suits it better.

Could be.  The way I see it "scroll-lock-mode" is basically a mode where
the buffer should always be scrolled such that the cursor is always
maintained at the same (vertical) screen position.  So it very much has
to do with redisplay and `before-redisplay-hook' might be just the
right thing.  Then again, it's not clear what `before-redisplay-hook'
really is, so it may very well be that it won't work.  Especially since
auto-scrolling in response to point-motion seems to be
wickedly complex.

        Stefan