Re: Window configuration UI (was: Neat features in Eclipse editor)

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Window configuration UI (was: Neat features in Eclipse editor)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:41:33 +1200

 > > needs to be possible to get all the right behavior.  For instance, we
 > > want GUD to be able to take advantage of this, with a predefined "gud"
 > > perspective.  This predefined "gud" perspective should have a window
 >
 > This is another problem: window-configurations can't be saved&loaded.
 > I.e. the tool we need is not `window-configuration' but some
 > other object.  We can construct it all in Elisp from window-tree, but
 > someone needs to write the code.

A bit late and perhaps not related to this specific point but when I tried
tabbar.el with gdb-ui I hit a problem with dedicated windows: I couldn't switch
buffer by clicking on the tab because the current window was dedicated.

Maybe some concept of a window being dedicated to the set of buffers that have
tabs for it, i.e., you could switch between tabs but other buffers couldn't
switch into it, would be some kind of useful subframe entity.

Just a random, possibly ill-conceived, thought.