Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Resizing may delete windows
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:43:52 +0200

>>I don't understand shrink_windows enough to make it less trigger-happy.
>>From the code I only understand that a high value of `window-min-height'
>>is an invitation to shoot silly windows.
>
> Yes, that's indeed how it works now.  But it would be good to change it
> a bit.  And I agree that it's not easy code.

I suppose that `shrink_windows' simply has to take into account the
presence of modelines when checking the min_size of windows.  That's
quite tedious to do - I have to alloc a second vector to store the
minimum sizes of all involved windows.

>>This thread started with an example where a window's height was
>>explicitly set to a value smaller than the top-level value of that
>>threshold.  How should Emacs deal with that?  How should Emacs deal with
>>`gnus-window-min-height' or `emerge-one-line-window'?
>
> Indeed, this is even more tricky, but in my opinion the right behavior
> is to enforce window-min-height only when a window is
> shrunk explicitly or created.  When a window is resized as part of some
> other resize (e.g. frame-resize), then the window should only be deleted
> if we can't preserve its size.

Agreed if "if we can't preserve its size" is read as "if we cannot
establish the new frame-size by other means".