Re: Feature Request : autoload-form

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Feature Request : autoload-form
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:01:06 -0700

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Don Armstrong writes:
> > The distribution of emacs and packages which are used for emacs
> > but are not part of emacs have largely been solved by
> > distributions already. See Debian's emacs policy, for example.
>
> I have. Debian's emacs policy is a frequent source of annoyance to
> XEmacs. The policy of trying to use a single package to serve both
> Emacsen,

First off, we distribute at least four flavors of emacsen, sometimes
even 6 or 8.

> especially when it's a package we provide but GNU does not, often
> results in buggy behavior.

In the cases where the addon package should not be loaded in xemacs,
this can indeed be done using the existing system. When it's not known
that it shouldn't be used in a particular flavor, splitting it out
won't help, as the default would still be to have it work on all
flavors of emacs (but with 4-8 times as many packages). [Flavor
specific code sections can also be done, of course.]

> I don't know that it can be done better from Debian's point of view,
> but from XEmacs's point of view, "largely solved" is an
> overstatement.

If there are particular things that are suboptimal, filing bugs is the
best way to document them and hopefully get them fixed. [I personally
don't use Xemacs, so I'm not in a position to file them.]

Don Armstrong

We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
 -- Jeremy S. Anderson