Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:23:20 +0200

> What is the difference against ispell-multi.el?

IIRC `ispell-multi' is a plug-in for ispell.el/flyspell.el.  speck is
entirely self-contained, doesn't need ispell.el or flyspell.el.

speck is timer-based, scanning entire windows in the background.
flyspell runs spell-checking as some sort of post-command hook which
makes it quite sluggish on my system.  That's why I decided to roll my
own spell-checker.  The window-scanning, timer-based approach and the
region-based handling of languages are similar to what I found with
conventional word-processors.  Moreover, speck allows to store language
information in files.  Hence, you can switch off your machine and resume
spell-checking at a later point.

I admire Peter Heslin's work in this area.  His programs are very
professionally written, I wish I could code his way.  Parts of what
speck does resembles `ispell-multi' although I wasn't aware of his work
at the time I wrote speck.  The one great deficiency of `ispell-multi',
IMHO, is that you need flyspell/ispell to run it.  One great advantage
of `ispell-multi' are Peter's plugins for Babel and html (which I don't
need personally).