Re: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region highlighting]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region highlighting]
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:28:58 +0000

Hi, Yidong!

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 07:01:51PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

[ .... ]

> If you want to avoid tmm entirely, you could, y'know, avoid using the
> mouse...

Yes, of course.  And I will.

But that's not the point.  I _care_ deeply about Emacs, like everybody
else on this mailing list.  Not just about how you can configure it, but
how it appears to the new user.  I want the hacker who takes up Emacs
23, or 24, or 25, to get that same "Eureka!" feeling that I got way back
when.  The feeling that Emacs is _different_, that it's _right_, that
it's _special_ - that when you ask a question, the answer is "yes".

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).