Re: VC state

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC state
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 10:02:36 -0400

>> > Many VC commands choke when given a directory parameter, so this does
>> > not seem particularly useful at this time.
>>
>> > More, given that vc-status is still "experimental code", and there is no
>> > clear path/criteria on getting it out of that state, I am not inclined
>> > to put more effort in adding more features to it.
>>
>> I don't see it as particularly experimental: it's what I now use as
>> a replacement for PCL-CVS when I use Bzr.

> So can the experimental label be removed then?

Yes.

> How about binding vc-status to C-x v d so that it gets more exposure?
> What is the plan for vc-dired?

I'd suggest we leave vc-dired alone for now.  You can remove vc-dired
from the menu bar, tho, and replace it by an entry for vc-status.
You may want to put it more preeminently at the beginning of
the submenu.

As for a key binding, I don't find C-x v d particularly good anyway, so
we may as well choose a better one.

You may also want to add a vc-dired-noselect (which calls vc-status) to
find-directory-functions, like PCL-CVS does (it's what I always use to
invoke PCL-CVS).

> When can it be removed?

Just pretend it's not there.

        Stefan