Re: conflict state

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: conflict state
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:44:31 -0400

>> > A patch to implement the new conflict state is below.  Can you please
>> > change the magic that runs the resolve command and turns on
>> > smerge-mode to use this state instead?
>>
>> I do not have time to do that right now.

> In that case should this code be installed?

Yes.

>> I'd rather just use the same for edited and conflict if we can't come up
>> with a good one.
> I'd prefer to have different things for conflict and edited so that they
> can be easily distinguished.

Agreed, but I think that "no difference" is better than "bad
choice" here.  Maybe ! should be used for conflicts and remove should
use something else.

>> This reminds me: we have to be careful that `conflict' is for conflicts
>> in the file's contents.  Not for conflicts about meta-info (e.g. when
>> a file is moved to the same location as some other file, or when a file
>> is renamed in two conflicting ways, ...).

> Are you sure that is a good idea?  For systems that require a "resolve"
> command to be run after resolving a conflict, there needs to be some
> convenient way run that command.  One can resolve the metadata conflict
> from within emacs, but then won't be able to have emacs run the resolve
> command.

I think you read a bit more into my words, than I intended to put.
I just want to make sure we keep the distinction between those two
in mind.  Sometimes they can be treated identically, other times not.
The code is currently used and written for "conflicts in the file's
content", so we should clearly say that, so that if we introduce code
that uses it for metadata-conflicts we hopefully won't forget to add
enough comments justifying why it's OK to use it here.

>> We should probably arrange to call mark-resolved from vc-after-save
>> (after checking that all the conflicts were indeed resolved).

> Let's see how this turns out in real life.  It seems that there might be
> many corner cases to consider...

Sure,

        Stefan