Re: 23.0.60; M-( and M-) should not be bound in ESC map

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; M-( and M-) should not be bound in ESC map
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:24:59 +0000

Hi, Juanma,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 05:45:43PM +0200, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Each such proposal leads to a long
> > discussion, which takes up lots of people's time.  And usually it
> > doesn't achieve anything.

Just to clarify, RMS wrote that, not me.  I just agreed with it.

> Surely the fact that suggesting the slightest change usually prompts
> such a long, heated discussion is a factor in not achieving anything.

Well, are we currently starting another long heated discussion, not even
talking about well established things?  I won't be carrying on with this
thread too long.  ;-)

A lot of the recent discussions haven't been about "the slightest
change"s, they've been about changing the very core features of Emacs.
Everybody on this list has strong views about these, and proposing a
changes to them is bound to trigger off long heated discussions.

Let's get back to Emacs bugs and features!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).