Re: Being constructive [Was: Nit-picking]

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Being constructive [Was: Nit-picking]
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:14:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Continuing and perhaps even finishing my bidi display code has been a
pipe dream for several years now, so it's probably not even worth
mentioning.

A smaller task might be to make use of the functionality of libotf/m17n and uniscribe (and any Mac equivalent) to provide bidi support on those platforms which offer underlying support. It will only be as good as the support offered by the underlying platform, only available in GUI frames, and even then only if Emacs is compiled against those libraries, but it is better than the current state of no bidi support at all. If work is started now, I think we can get this in to Emacs 23. I don't know how far emacs-bidi is from completion, but I'm guessing it will be at least Emacs 24 material?