Re: function arguments downcased in help buffers

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: function arguments downcased in help buffers
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:37:07 -0700

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:
  >
  > >  Maybe they are lower case in your setup (Windows?), they very much are
  > >  in mine.
  >
  > My point was/is that is defined that way.

That might have been your intention, but that is not what you actually
said, and what I was replying to.

  > Whether it is not working for some font backend / font combination
  > is another issue altogether (a bug, to be precise).

  > >  lucidasanstypewriter used to be (maybe still is) the
  > >  one of the more popular fixed width fonts.
  >
  > There are lots of fixed width fonts. DejaVu Sans Mono, for example, is
  > increasingly popular (and it works OK with this feature).

This is unrelated to what I wrote and the context I wrote it in.  DejaVu
Sans Mono is also not useful to X11 emacs for emacs 22, AFAICT it is not
available as a core X font.

  > >  The face is not a problem, but it is just odd to downcase the text.
  > >  I do consider this a bug, but if everyone likes that as a default, then
  > >  so be it.
  >
  > It is already clear that it is a feature you don't like, but I find it
  > a bit insulting that you keep referring to it as a "bug".

This type of attitude is one of the reasons emacs-devel is such an
unpleasant environment lately.
The discussion was about a feature that recently changed behavior, and
the statement you replied to was clearly labeled as _a personal opinion_
and clearly stated that it didn't require a change if that is what most
people want.  Stating that criticism of a feature is an insult is a
clear way to drive people way from any type of discussion.