Re: some vc-dir notes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: some vc-dir notes
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 23:46:38 -0400

> Based on the help for "=" I expected an easy way to make a diff of the
> entire directory.  I couldn't figure this out.  I can mark files and
> do it, but I was hoping for something simpler.

Adding directory entries in the display is being worked on.
The "." entry will allow applying a command to the whole tree.

> If I type "=" outside the content area of the buffer, I still get a
> result.

If it does, it's a hack.  An explicit "." entry sounds much better.

> If I type '=' on an unregistered file I get:
>   require(vc-nil)
[...]
> IMO it should just use whatever backend is displayed at the top of the
> buffer.  In fact, using a different backend for any operation would
> seem weird.

Yes, it's a bug I already pointed out: the backend to use should not be
associated with the file-name (as is currently the case) but should just
be a buffer-local variable.

This might require a fairly large change, tho.

        Stefan