Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:29:06 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:43:36AM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> > I am very much against enabling delete-selection-mode by default.
>
>> I am very surprised.  What could be a reason not to delete the region
>> after typing a character when this region was intentionally activated
>> specially for doing this.

[...]

> Anyways....  the main point of my email: this discussion comes into
> the category of "things decided long ago, whose discussion now
> consumes our time and energy".  RMS requested very recently that we
> cease such discussion.  I've got bugs to fix.

Huh?  transient-mark-mode was made the default only very recently, and
without that, there could not have been much talk about the
delete-selection-mode default?

So the topic would to me appear rather new.  And the right answer is
"no"...  It might be "not yet", but at the current point of time I have
no idea what could be done to make a change not quite painful for all
users (not just the old fogies).