Images on ttys

From: Mark Plaksin
Subject: Images on ttys
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:13:24 -0400

It would be cool if Emacs could display images on ttys.  This would be
especially cool now that multi-tty exists.  One could use emacs-w3m (or
w3m or whatever) as her primary browser and get the sometimes-necessary
images even when connected remotely over ssh.  Unfortunately I have no
idea how hard this is and I'm not the right person to do it.  But...

w3m in xterm and rvxt displays images.  Apparently it works in Linux
framebuffers too (i.e., on what are often text-only consoles).  One way
to see it in action is with Debian's w3m-img package (I run unstable).

I don't know enough to explain how it works but the best-looking
description I've found is in the w3m documentation:
http://w3m.cvs.sourceforge.net/w3m/w3m/doc/README.img?revision=1.4&view=markup