reading/writing binary data in structured form

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: reading/writing binary data in structured form
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:05:13 +0200 (CEST)

Folks,

does there exist a major mode which allows definition of templates so
that editing of binary data can be done in a structured way?

Looking around in the internet I wasn't very successful in finding
such a binary editor for GNU/Linux at all.  Any ideas what I could
try?  Since I've never used such a thing I would be glad for getting
advices.  I would use such an editor (mode) to modify and create test
fonts.

    Werner