Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)

From: joakim
Subject: Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:26:41 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> How do you feel about the current interface:
>> delete-other-windows t, inhibits delete-other-windows
>
> Honestly?  I think it's terrible (it's just one-step better than using
> advice).  But it's the best we have so far.

This was pretty funny to me :) Obviously you should be honest.

> What I hope to get from the above is an understand of which functions
> need to get changed together, then we can create a couple special
> window-parameter (call it "foo" and "bar"-windows) and have those
> handled accordingly in delete-other-windows, etc...

> The crucial difference is that "foo" and "bar" shouldn't have anything
> directly to do with delete-other-windows but should instead express
> a particular intention behind the use of the window.  I.e. an attribute
> similar to `dedicated'.

Currently I'm working towards this interface:

window-parameter
set-window-parameter

These are like their frame counterparts.

The properties are like:

"pin" - if t, the window isnt deleted by delete-other-windows

"group" - these windows are in a group together and other-window cycles
between windows which has the same "group" value. I plan to implement
this in next_window().

I'm sure theres even better interfaces, so please be honest :)

Maybe "pin" and "group" should really be one parameter or whatever.

>>> So I suggest you work on a separate branch for that.
>> I have set up a local bzr branch to work in, that should be enough right?
>
> Yes, that's fine.  If you want to make it public, it's even better.
> Note also that I don't see any copyright assignment from you, so you may
> want to address this if you want to have your code installed (or if you
> want to place a mirror of your branch in Emacs's bzr repository).

Ok, how do I go about getting an assignment?

--
Joakim Verona