Re: File name completion problem with non-ascii file names

From: Ari Roponen
Subject: Re: File name completion problem with non-ascii file names
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:16:35 +0300

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Ari Roponen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> when I use C-x C-f to visit a file, TAB-completion completes too
>> much if there are non-ascii characters in file name. Here is a
>> simple recipe to demonstrate the problem:
>>
>>     (let ((default-directory temporary-file-directory))
>>       (with-temp-file "pöytä-1.txt"
>>         (insert "Pöytä is a Finnish word for table."))
>>       (with-temp-file "pöytä-2.txt"
>>         (insert "Other file."))
>>       (file-name-completion "p" "."))
>>     ;; => "pöytä-1."
>
> Should be fixed now.
>
> Andreas.

The problem I reported is indeed fixed. However, there is still a
minor problem:

    (let ((default-directory temporary-file-directory)
          (file "pöytä-1.txt"))
      (with-temp-file file (insert "test file"))
      (file-name-completion file default-directory))
    ;; => "pöytä-1.txt"

According to documentation, file-name-completion should return t,
because there is only one possible completion:

    (directory-files temporary-file-directory nil "pöytä-1")
    ;; => ("pöytä-1.txt")

If there are no non-ascii characters in file name, everything
works fine:

    (let ((default-directory temporary-file-directory)
          (file "poyta-1.txt"))
      (with-temp-file file (insert "test file"))
      (file-name-completion file default-directory))
    ;; => t

This happens with GNU Emacs 23.0.60.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.12.9) of 2008-04-28 on arirop

--
Ari Roponen