Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)

From: joakim
Subject: Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:15:40 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I chose "pin" because in some gui toolkits there is a widget that looks
>> like a little needle/pin that you can use to "fasten" the window and not
>> go away on certain operations.
>
>> I dont have a better name than pin right now, can someone think one up?
>
> I wouldn't worry about naming right now.  First we need to get the
> design to work for something like ECB, Speedbar, etc..

I think this patch basically achieves what it set out to do now:

- "pinning" windows
- "grouping" windows

pinning and grouping together makes it possible to implement context
windows surrounding an edit area(much like the emacs gdb interface looks
like, but without the inconvenience that c-x 1 in the edit area
destroys the entire layout)

There are other things that are needed that I think are outside the scope of
this particular patch:

- making a set of buffers live in a particular context window, for
  instance compilation output should be configurable to always go to a
  special compilation output window. (I intuit this could be done at the
  elisp level with buffer local variables)

  Whatever interface is chosen could presumably also be used for tab
  support.

- understand why the speedbar has to be a frame and make it possible to
  put it in a context window instead(The ECB does this already somehow)

--
Joakim Verona