Re: Very interesting analysis of "the state of Emacs"

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Very interesting analysis of "the state of Emacs"
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:56:30 -0700

Richard M Stallman wrote:
Before diving in the merits of whether or not it is possible to add multi-tasking to Emacs (by that I assume full-blown threads), what are the problems this is trying to solve?

Multi-terminal use by more than one user
needs parallelism in order to fully work right.

That's brilliant.

As GNU Emacs turns attention to competing more strongly as an IDE, one application for that kind of multi-threadedness is (of course) "pair programming". There are many other, perhaps more compelling, examples of the value of multi-user sessions -- but that is one that will be familiar to many, I think.

-t