Re: Next release

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 17:23:21 -0400

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

>> We're still waiting for someone to actually finish the merge w.r.t
>> the Carbon port.  This can only be done by someone who understand
>> enough of the Carbon port.  You seem like our best hope here.
>
> As I said in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00419.html, I
> don't have a plan to develop the Carbon (not Carbon+AppKit) port of
> Emacs 23.
>
>> I do not know why you seem to be so offended by the multi-tty code.
>> Maybe if you explained it, we could work it through.  Its being
>> non-working and without anybody willing to fix it is basically the
>> main reason why we started to look into the Emacs.app code.  It is a
>> pity to throw away this code.
>
> The breakage of the Carbon port is definitely NOT a reason.  Well, one
> of the reasons would be that I found some changes that are totally
> unrelated to multi-tty.  Another reason is no clear explanation given
> about preloading term/*-win.

Can you, or someone else, summarize the situation on Carbon and
multi-tty?

IIUC, the way things are right now is that multi-tty works on free
software platforms, but not on Carbon.  It was merged onto the trunk, in
such a way that the Carbon port does not possess multi-tty functionality
but at least still compiles.  I understand that you're unhappy about the
changes made to ensure that Carbon port compiles.  Would it be possible
to simply fix up these changes, and let this matter slide?

If, ultimately, no one is willing to work on getting multi-tty
functionality working for Carbon, we'll release Emacs 23 with multi-tty
functionality turned on for free software platforms (and whatever other
platforms people can get it working on).  So the work to "at least get
it compiling on Carbon" is a necessary step.