Re: focus-follows-mouse

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: focus-follows-mouse
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 22:01:18 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I just noticed that I need to click the mouse to switch the focus
>> between emacs windows (as opposed to emacs frames/X windows which are
>> switched between based on the mouse movement).
>> Even though the documentation of focus-follows-mouse makes it abundantly
>> clear that this is not the intent of the variable, I think it would be
>> better if emacs switched the emacs window focus based on mouse movement
>> when this variable is set to non-nil.
>
> You mean that mouse-autoselect-window should default to the value of
> focus-follows-mouse?
>
> This has been proposed and it might make sense, but I'm not sure it's
> a good idea: just like focus-follows-mouse is problematic in MacOS
> (because you may need to move the mouse over some other frame just in
> order to access the menu-bar), mouse-autoselect-window is problematic
> because you may need to move your mouse over another window in order
> to reach the menu-bar.

Not just that.  In my window manager, I prefer lazy focus, which means
that accidental movement of the mouse does not cause any change on
workspaces with a single Emacs frame and no other windows (where the
track pad feels touched sometimes, this is quite important).

mouse-autoselect-window would disturb me.