Re: Redesigh of the VC front end

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Redesigh of the VC front end
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 04:38:08 -0700

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
  > > "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
  > >
  > >   > 2. Otherwise, if you are in a vc dired buffer, and
  > >   > include-files-not-directories is non-nil, and no fileset is selected,
  > >   > select all files at and below directory level.
  > >
  > > This is a wart that is used by vc-next-action for the following: if in a
  > > vc-dir buffer, you have a directory selected and do C-x v v what action
  > > should be performed?
  > > If you have files selected, the decision is made based on the files state.
  > > For directories, then with this flag, return the list of files is
  > > returned and the decision based on the file state.  The VC action is
  > > still performed on the directory...
  > > Better ideas on how to handle this case are quite welcome.
  >
  > Hm.  I think I see what you're driving at now.
  >
  > Here's what I think is right.  We generalize vc-backend so it can take a
  > directory argument, The default semantics is just: look for a backend by
  > control subdirectory in the user's preference order.  But if we select a
  > backend on the directory using C-u C-x v v, it should remember that.

Sorry, this is not the issue described above.  The code is question is
not related to the backend, but to the vc _state_.

Incidentally, the code in vc-next-action that verifies the fileset:
    ;; Verify that the fileset is homogeneous
    [snip]
might fit better in vc-deduce-fileset (or whatever is called now).