Re: customizing key definitions with Customize

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: customizing key definitions with Customize
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 13:39:58 -0400

    > Perhaps we should handle this with two alternatives, like
    > customization of fonts.  You can customize a font either in terms of
    > its appearance in the current kind of screen, or its general
    > conditions that apply to all kinds of screens.

    Perhaps we should handle it as I suggested: customize an option. A
    keymap-valued symbol is just a variable. Either such a variable
    could itself be made a user option or, as I showed, a separate but
    corresponding user option can be created.  Both approaches can be
    treated the same way (e.g. as I indicated); it depends on what we
    want.

    If we want a given keymap variable itself to be completely customizable
(i.e.,
    for all of its keys), then we can just make it a defcustom of the sort I
    indicated. If we want some keymap variables not to be options, then we need
not
    use defcustom for them.

Now it seems you are saying that the _code_ should choose whether the
user should see the entire keymap or just his changes.

We were already aware of that possibility, but it has an obvious
drawback.  That is why I suggested that we instead let the _user_
choose one or the other, for each keymap.