What's up with the semi-permanent vc breakage?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: What's up with the semi-permanent vc breakage?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 19:51:52 +0200

Hi,

usually the state in the trunk is supposed to be code that more or less
works.  With VC, this has not been true for at least several weeks:
there are problems with some "menu-filter" thing bombing out (at least
when debug-on-error is set) for operations as simple as C-v c =, and now
an uninitialized variable vc-client-mode (presumably from
vc-dispatcher.el) breaks operations when debug-on-error is set.

It is not really a solution for me to switch off debug-on-error
permanently (since that makes it, say, impossible to debug errors), and
it is not clear to me why unsetting it stops vc errors from occuring.

I remember some messages about expecting rough times ahead, and also
reports about this problem.  But there has been quiescence lately with
regard to mails on the list or checkins in the code.