dired, ido-mode etc and SIGFPE in font code

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: dired, ido-mode etc and SIGFPE in font code
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 11:56:45 +0800

I have some files in my home directory, whose names contains GBK
characters.  I found if I evaluate the below form after Emacs is

  (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

Opening my home directory with dired and scrolling the dired buffer up
to reveal those files will cause a SIGFPE signal delivered and Emacs
hangs there.  This is what I get from gdb:

(gdb) r -Q
Starting program: /data/emacs/src/emacs -Q
[New Thread 0xb70f9a40 (LWP 21640)]
                                        (evaluating "(prefer-coding-system
Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
[Switching to Thread 0xb70f9a40 (LWP 21640)]
0x08271f50 in xfont_open (f=0x853bd80, entity=140224556, pixel_size=18) at
616               font->average_width = width / n;
(gdb) p n
$1 = 0

I don't know if this is a dired bug or a font code bug.  Btw, ido-mode
has a similar problem as dired, only that it doesn't cause Emacs to

Guanpeng Xu
Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces.
It's easy!