RE: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 17:18:58 -0700

> > Whoever polls Emacs users could do so - that could help.
>
> In a question like this I do not think it will help that
> much. We will simply not reach those potential new users
> that we really would like to reach.

If you can't reach them, then don't worry about them. If no one can justifiably
speak for them, and no one can measure them, then we must ignore them. No sense
polling or speaking for the supernatural.

If and when they become reachable, we can ask them. Easier: let Emacs use its
own default behavior by default, and see how many complain.

I don't see why Emacs wouldn't provide its own default behavior by default. As
long as users can override it, where is the harm?

> I tried to say that the documentation of w32-register-hot-key should
> take the technical things I referred to into account in some way.

I don't know what those "technical things" are or why the Emacs doc should take
them into account. Why make this so complicated? It's just about letting users
choose Windows ALT-TAB within Emacs or Emacs M-TAB within Emacs.

You "referred" to nebulous stuff without actually referencing it, and that stuff
seems to be irrelevant here anyway (but, not knowing what it is, I can't be
sure). The table in front of me seems to be shaking, but I can't discern which
spirits are behind it.

> > No one is proposing changing the behavior of
> > Windows outside Emacs.
>
> It is not that simple to divide those things. If you change
> Alt-Tab in Emacs would you not in a way change Windows too then?

Not outside Emacs. AFAIK, w32-register-hot-key has no effect outside of Emacs.
Are you suggesting the contrary?

When I try it, ALT-TAB still does its Windows thing outside Emacs, even with
Emacs still running. I really don't see the problem you hint at.

> > What does not work consistently, without what low-level
> > keyboard hook?
>
> Alt-tab and the windows keys may in some circumstances still
> be sent to Windows without the low-level keyboard hook.

So are you saying that w32-register-hot-key does not work in some cases? Can you
give an example?

> (MS has not documented when this happen. It is just that the
> recommended way is to use a low level keyboard hook.)

Recommended way to do what? To have Emacs recognize ALT-TAB as M-TAB? Why care
what MS recommends about that?