Re: Making the malayalam rendering proper

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Making the malayalam rendering proper
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 20:31:10 +0900

In article <address@hidden>,  writes:

> In all unicode enabled gnu emacs that i tried, malayalam is rendered as a
> stream of unicode letters. Malayalam like other devanagari scripts, often
> requires to combine two characters(with two different glyphs) to display
> another glyph which represent the combination(complex script?)
> The picture attached,shows the difference in rendering of the same string in
> emacs and in gedit.The first one is made in emacs and the second bigger one
> in gedit.after developing some patches, Pango renders malayalam perfectly
> from version 1.20 onwards..
> How could this be made right.Where can i find more information about the
> rendering details of emacs?
> gpled fonts like the ones available from
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/smc/fonts/malayalam-fonts-04/
> are having sufficient glyphs to render malayalam perfectly..But this bug
> requires some work regarding rendering right?

Does your src/config.h contains these lines?

#define HAVE_LIBOTF 1
#define HAVE_M17N_FLT 1

If not, you must install libotf and libm17n-flt (see INSTALL
how to get them), and run configure again.

BTW, please send me the UTF-8 text you used in
emacs-rendering-difference.png.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden