Re: "Bold" effect when anti-aliased glyphs are overwritten

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: "Bold" effect when anti-aliased glyphs are overwritten
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 22:18:51 +0100

Chong Yidong wrote:
Currently, the foreground of these redrawn glyphs is drawn directly
without erasing the existing glyph.  This is because we generally don't
want to redraw the background, since that might in turn overwrite THIS
glyph's neighbors.  Without anti-aliasing, this procedure is obviously
unproblematic.
The usual way to solve such problems is to use clipping to only erase and draw the parts of the neighboring glyphs that need redrawing. I thought I had seen such code when porting the new font backend to Windows, but perhaps I am misremembering.